Sunday 22 November 2009

Heading For Queer Hell

I was raised in a Catholic family. We weren't overtly religious, but it was more of a background thing. Nowadays I wouldnt say I was particularly religious, but I have my faith and I am proud of it. Obviously, in the eyes of my religion, I live in sin, but my friends and family don't have an issue with my 'sinning' and so I don't much care about the opinions of others who my life neither touches, nor affects.

This evening I had to run out to the shop for something, and the quickest way to get there without the car was through the city's gay district. Half way through my journey I was stopped by a women who looked to be in her 40's. Anyone who has spent any time on the streets of Manchester knows that you can't go more than a few feet without being stopped by a tramp, charity worker, god botherer etc, but I stopped and spoke to her nonetheless. She asked my what I was doing in the area, so I told her, and then she asked if I was one of 'them gays' to which I said yes.

Now, I am pretty tolerant of people's views and opinions. After all, they are entitled to them, as I am my own, right? Anyway, the woman proceeded to hand me leaflets about the catholic church, with headings such as 'return to the fold' and 'Don't ruin your life with homosexuality', with statements from 'ex gays' who had realised that they didnt need to rebel by being gay anymore etc.




More out of curiosity than politeness, I listened as she told me that I was on the path to hell and that Jesus was willing to accept me back into his heart as soon as I was ready to become 'normal' and admit my sins.

In a strange way I kind of understood where she was coming from. I mean, I don't agree with her views, but I understand why she does. What got me thinking was though, was the number of people out there who preach and feel the need to stick their noses in where it doesnt belong. It was a wierd experience because I have never really come up against any personal religious opposition or homophobia, so to witness someones small mindedness for myself.

What I can't believe is that the catholic church, with all of its history and a magnificent drop in its followers, is still peddling this bullshit to its congregation, who in turn feel the need to peddle this shit on to me. Raising children to be filled with hatred is something no religion should be proud of. I am not from a particularly religious area, so this kind of thing doesnt get seen too often, but it makes me feel for the people who have to put up with listening to this shit on a daily basis. Is this something that has happened to any of you?

As I said, I have my own faith and if there is a heaven, then what with me being made in God's image, and old Jesus dying for my sins, I am pretty sure I will get a room with a view. I didn't choose to be gay, but I wouldnt have it any other way. I happen to really like my life and I am proud of who I am. I know my family is too, and that is all that really matters anyway, right?

4 comments:

  1. It is a classic pitfall of the way we are, that we have to deal with such issues. But I think you have your head in the right place, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    Octavius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I was raised in the Anglican Church and was sent to a private Catholic College. My father is a rather zealous 'christian' as is the majority of my family. I get where there coming from, I understand what they mean, but like you with the lady, what I dont understand is why there so content to preach a message of hate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fascinated by faith. I went to a Catholic college as well, but my family is not very religious at all. It astounds me the kind of prejudice that they preach. They feed and thrive on guilt...and Hate. It's horrible. But, I'm fascinated by it.

    If you're interested in this stuff, there was an american documentary called 'Religulous' which visited a Gay Reform religious facility. Education and Hilarious! Anyways, check it out if it interests you... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand a racist and a homophobe, those who have these views and largely keep them to themselves but I can't understand those who are pro-active in making others aware of their prejudice, such as this woman has.

    We all have opinions but to force these opinions on another is unforgivable.

    ReplyDelete